Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Will of the Weka


They're coming back. The Weka are returning. Happyzine ran a story from the Otago Daily Times on the re population of 'buff Weka' in Wanaka. And since then I've heard of other Weka sightings in Golden Bay - specifically in Bird's Clearing and Totaranui. I remember them from my childhood - they were feisty and cheeky. They used to steal my toast in the mornings and I respected them from afar after they tried to peck my (seemingly tasty looking) toes. Despite my mild fear of the Weka as a wee one, I missed them when they disappeared and am very pleased to hear they're repopulating Aotearoa.
When did you last see the humble Weka? And where? What did it look like? What was it doing? What sort of mood did it seem to be in and did it try to steal your food? Did it appear buff and in a repopulating mood? Send in your weka report to Weka Report and become a pin-up Happyzine star over-night (well ... over-week).

5 comments:

  1. I remember meeting a weka under the Arahura Bridge by the river. It was a hot sunny west coast day, the water was beautiful. The weka came to say hello, very friendly and full of personality. It really made my day.
    Go the weka!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember writing a song about that same Weka ...www.myspace.com/charlottesquireaotearoa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed there are Weka living very happily at Totoranui now - thanks to DOC. DOC are continually trapping predators all around Totoranui to protect them. I saw two different families of weka last winter! All happy, a bit shy but definitley very - well WEKA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our family like to go to the Abel Tasman Nat Park. We saw a weka at Anapai with a green and a yellow band. My daughter let DOC know and they told her the weka's name is Daphne (unfortunately he turned out to be a bloke) We seen him a few times more and he is now settled at the hut at Whariwharangi. Better still he had a wife and four chicks with him! He was in high spirits - very confident and looked really healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More Weka spotted - down in the Sounds of Malborough this time. A Weka was seen running away with half a loaf of vogels bread ...

    ReplyDelete