Sunday, April 5, 2009

What IS Good News?

Happyzine is New Zealand's totally free, totally positive news ezine and blog. It's been running for around ten months and it has around 150 subscribers. I (Editor and Founder - Charlotte Squire) am seeking to define 'good news' specifically for Happyzine, within a New Zealand context. Here are my musings:
I've been mulling this one over for a couple of years. I want Happyzine to host positive and uplifting news. Yes, that's one layer of Happyzine. But what does 'good news' mean? Every body has a different idea of 'good news' don't they? I might think it's great that it rained, you might think it's not so good, because you can't play soccer. Very simplistic example I know, but you know what I mean - it's a subjective term - we all have different beliefs when it comes to positive and negative.

One word that comes to mind is 'creativity'. I want Happyzine to host creative solutions to challenging issues. I want Happyzine to show that for every so-called problem - there are always options. I want to demonstrate the process of people and the planet working through small or significant road-blocks. I want to show that there are many ways to approach issues and that we all have a choice.

I also want to illuminate the 'strengths' of the people of Aotearoa, for example we have this reputation for being innovative, great! I want the stories that show we are. We also have a the 'number eight wire' reputation - even better - I want to show that with a little ingenuity and lateral thinking we can get what we need. I want to show via story and image the special traits of Kiwis and our environment.

Getting back to the 'process' word, just thinking off the top of my head, I want to show that the process of working towards a solution, can also lead to other solutions. For example the very act of effective communication can open doors between people. One recent example of this is President Obama's visit to the G20 - his manner must have put people at ease as he ended up creating a strong relationship with the formerly hostile French President Nicolas Sarkozy. This will ease future relations between the US and France.

Perhaps it's approaching life with the 'optimistic expectation' that anything is possible', that 'cup half full' thing.

And I also have in mind 'edge' what's our edge as a nation? What unique flavours make us stand out from other countries and is 'edge' different from 'strength'?

I definitely definitely definitely want Happyzine to be about 'community'. I want people to become actively involved in searching out and sourcing news and ideas that they consider to be positive and inspiring. I want the Happyzine community to feel inspired to participate.

Ok, whew, what an exciting blog to write. I wrote stuff I didn't even know I felt! I would really like some feedback on this blog, so I'm going to invite a few people to comment. And if you would do me the honour of sharing your thoughts, I would love that. Happyzine is a living, breathing idea. Happyzine is the people to contribute to it. Please help us create the most amazing positive news option for the people of Aotearoa and beyond.

Some questions to consider:

What is good news to you?
What does 'positive news' mean?
What should Happyzine be about, within the context of Aotearoa?
What should Happyzine's purpose be?

In gratitude,


Charlotte Squire





3 comments:

  1. POSTED BY HAPPYZINE WITH PERMISSION OF AUTHOR

    I tried to post a comment in the space at the bottom of the blog but must admit I was stumped when it asked me to select a profile before allowing me to upload my comments. I'm not sure what the differences between them are and didn't know which to choose!

    Anyhow -
    Part of what I feel makes good news is hearing how people help raise each other up and/or somehow improve the world around them.
    For me this ties into the idea of community. This is something I have been seeking for quite a while and feel that becoming actively involved is essential for 'community'.
    You want us to be actively involved in searching out good news items to share, but perhaps I could suggest even going a step further and become actively involved in creating good news stories?
    Will being part of a community make it easier to create good news stories? In a community each of us is less anonymous so perhaps the connections made in a community prompt us to want to support each other and naturally bring more good news.
    I will try to bring more good news to the Happyzine community. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happyzine is an example of good news in its self! They are good questions with no simple answer.
    For me good news makes my heart lift up/feel hopeful/happy. Community and environment are great places to start. Whatever your view is - currently its very close to mine and I really enjoy following the links to 'good stories' Please keep up the fab work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Claire, that's very affirming to read :-) It does seem that Happyzine readers feel passionate about the environment, actually I'd like to know more about that, might post a blog on that one. For me it's so reassuring finding all this positive news about new species being discovered or threatened ones being saved, or areas are returning to their natural states etc. Thanks again for your feedback,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete