Saturday, March 28, 2009

Earth Hour Was an Exciting Time for Me


What I loved about last night's Earth Hour experience was the feeling that we were all in it together, I didn't even have to leave home to enjoy it, it was like there was this universal party going on and all I had to do was join in! This fits in well with me as the mother of a toddler. Kahu (my son) and I stood outside last night as I closely examined Nelson's light-life. He snuggled into his mother, while I stood there watching the hill across the valley to see if people were switching their lights off.

Heaps has been reported on Earth Hour, in fact, as I write it's still going on. Check out this Twitter comment:

“RT @mashable: Wow, they turned off the lights on the Eiffel Tower for Earth Hour! http://bit.ly/r6bdv

Now that's the kind of action that Earth Hour is inspiring around the planet, nothing is off limits. This was always actually the case, I mean they could have switched off the Eiffel Tower lights anytime really, or NZ's sky tower lights (which they also switched off), but it's taken this level of excitement to inspire people to take positive environmental action to such a public level. Who knows what's next? Earth Hour every night? And who knows what else is possible when working with this level of interest world-wide - just goes to show: if you can dream it, it can happen.


1 comment:

  1. Earthhour was a great success - not because we saved so much power but because we created an alignment of vision for a better world.
    Working together - we can do it!

    ReplyDelete