Friday, February 6, 2009

Hope for a Nation of Treaty Partners


Tena Koutou, Tena Koutou, Tena Koutou, Katoa.
Ko Takaka Te Maunga
Ko Maitai Te Awa
Ko Waikourupupu Te Puna
Ko Charlotte Squire taku ingoa.

We've just celebrated Waitangi Day here in Aotearoa. For those based overseas, back in 1840 the Treaty of Waitangi was signed between some Maori chiefs of New Zealand and the Crown, thus becoming New Zealand's 'founding document'. Unfortanately the Maori and English versions of 'Te Tiriti' were somewhat different and rather than walking hand in hand in partnership from that point on, Maori came off second best. Over time some land has been returned to Maori and a huge effort has been made by both Maori and Pakeha to heal, appologise and let go of the past.

Incidently, as a Pakeha (English/Scots born in New Zealand), I've had my own journey with my very own Maori partner - check out my song 'Sorry'. I've gone through shock at realising I descended from the 'Colonisers', then guilt, then feeling truly sorry, then letting go, moving on and just feeling grateful to have spent some time within the realms of te ao Maori. I've had my own taste of life in the midst of some Maori tribes and I remember thinking 'I never want to go back!' The most beautiful thing for me about spending a little time on Marae (in the North Island) was realising the deep connection between land and people, so ingrained in Maori tikanga (custom and ways), that I'd never before known as 'normal'. I discovered an attitude that I wanted MY people to adopt - and I think they are, slowly.

Over the years, Maori activists have used Waitangi day as an oppertune day to express their anger and pain over treaty issues. However, I recently heard a Radio New Zealand commentator say that ever since the Maori Party swept into power, Maori have had more of a channel for their feelings. So this year, the only action at Waitangi was a small scuffle between two men and our new Prime Minister.

I was happy to note that co-leader of the Maori Party Tariana Turia feels positive about Treaty relations here. She said “I am optimistic that we are moving to a time when all New Zealanders will live up to the Treaty promise of a respectful and honourable partnership”. According to the latest research, the Treaty is held in high regard.
“Our experience of New Zealanders confirms what the latest UMR research reported, that the majority believe the Treaty to be New Zealand’s founding document (73% of Maori respondents, and 59% of all)".
”This is a fantastic result, right on the eve of Waitangi Day, that indicates the level of understanding New Zealanders have that te kawanata – the sacred compact of the Waitangi agreement – unites us all”.
“Just as our ancestors regarded the Treaty with integrity and honour, we must all lift our sights to work towards the promise of a strong and unified nation” said Mrs Turia.
These are inspiring words from the female co-leader of the Maori Party. Words that can lift a nation towards a greater sense of togetherness and hope for a strong, vibrant future.

1 comment: