Monday, February 2, 2009

Dancing in the Supermarket



Dancing in a supermarket. Ever done it? Have you been inspired to groove absentmindedly down isles of food as you hunt and gather for the clan? I'm doing it right now. And I'm not alone. Others I've spoken to come here because of the great music. My son's sitting in the trolley people-watching as I linger at all the good spots. There are many because I'm in my favorite shopping experience. There's organic food as far as the eye can see, intermingled with the so-called 'normal' food, and the good news is that the organic food's quite affordable. Here, they offset the price of organics by slightly increasing the price of the 'normal' food. But it's not price that's drawn me here, it's ... the vibe. The term 'vibe' is an old, underused one, perhaps relegated to the sixties, but I don't care. I like THE VIBE here. This supermarket attracts the most interesting people, and I always feel as if we're at a social function where we shop happily together, rather than chat, as a form of mingling. There are the waves of oldies tricking through, some smile at my one year old son and engage in chitchat with him, which I love. And there are the bare footed vegan types – who buy two kumara and one onion. Then there are the grown up love-children, still wearing vibrant colour, who take their time and examine ingredients. There are the suits – who rush through. There are us Mums, we generally take our time, unless we're trying to shop with more than one child in which case, it's a matter beyond my expertise and appears to be a speedier mission. We are many and varied. But we're in these isles together.
Another thing I like about this supermarket is the buy local component. There are signs every where saying 'This item has traveled less than 200kms' – how reassuring is that? It's very cool to know this, and I occasionally even choose buying local over buying organic – this was once a huge dilemma for me, but I have since let go and relaxed about the matter taking it one case at a time. My favourite organic beer – a Founders Long Black is here, it costs $5.50 per bottle, which is the cheapest I've encountered and I'm always pleased to see the rows of Tall Blacks are good and depleted. Also, they sell organic bananas, seemingly by the truckload, which I, along with many others, snap up immediately because organic bananas seem to be greater in demand than in supply. And, and, and ... they not only sell affordable organic meat, but they also sell wild-game meat, just like my father used to bring home, only wrapped in plastic, not an old sack.
We're at the checkout now. My son is beaming at the checkout person, waiting for his smile to be returned and I'm smiling at him, 'cause he's son and I think he's gorgeous. It's been fun, there's always a great VIBE in here. Meet you just outside the front door next time for a shance (shop/dance).

PS the supermarket is Fresh Choice on Collingwood Street, Nelson, New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment